Painting The Town Green – St. Patrick’s Day in SavannahBy Teresa Cowart in Blog,Savannah Area. Tagged: Savannah • St. Patricks Day • Teresa Cowart
The luck of the Irish won’t pass Savannah by this year. From parades to cultural celebrations, the city has a number of fun and exciting ways to celebrate the St. Patrick’s Day. Below are some of the best ways to celebrate in Savannah!
St. Patrick’s Day in Savannah isn’t just a one day small celebration, it starts in February and lasts until the big day (March 17th.) Multiple events are planned all month long to remember and honor Savannah’s past and current Irish population.
Michael J. Hogan, General Chairman of the St. Patrick’s Day Parade Committee writes this sentiment on the parade website, “We celebrate today with 12 different Irish Heritage organizations, numerous Irish families, the men and women serving in uniform, and our sponsors and supporters.” This holiday is truly something special to Savannah and its visitors!
- Irish Heritage Walking Tour – Those looking to learn about Savannah and its rich Irish Heritage will want to take one of the Irish Heritage Tours. The tours hosted by Massie Heritage Center, begin on March 10, 2016 and continue daily until March 15 from 5pm-7pm. For more info call 912-395-5070.
- Greening of the Fountain – Watching Savannah’s fountains turn green for St. Patrick’s Day is one of the most well known activities in the city. On March 11 at 12pm in Forsyth Park, the Grand Marshal will kick off the greening! Each fountain will be dyed green in the town, making it truly an unforgettable event!
- Tara Feis Irish Celebration – With St. Patrick’s Day comes a number of fun activities but one of the most important parts of this time of year is celebrating Irish Heritage. The Tara Feis Irish Celebration is a famous Irish Festival with beautiful displays and crafts on display for its visitors. The event takes place in Emmet Park on March 12 from 11am-5pm.
- Miss St. Patrick’s Day Pageant – Miss and Teen Miss St. Patrick’s Day will be chosen at the city’s local pageant on March 12 at 7pm in the Savannah Country Day School. The lucky winners will be riding in the upcoming St. Patrick’s Day Parade!
- Celtic Cross Ceremony and Reception – On March 13 from 1:30-2:30pm, Irish Catholics celebrate their heritage with a ceremony at the Celtic Cross Statue in Emmet Park while bag pipes play on. Various speakers will come forward to share their experiences and thoughts about the Irish Heritage.
- Top O’ The Mornin Run – Lace up your sneakers and head to Fleet Feet Sports at 6:30am on March 17 for the Top O’ the Mornin Run! Runners will travel through Savannah along the parade route in a sort of pre-parade activity of their own! Participants can don themselves in the greenest of gear but have one stipulation, they must greet people they pass with the phrase “Top O’ The Mornin!”
- St. Patrick’s Day Parade – The most anticipated event of St. Patrick’s Day in Savannah is the annual parade! This takes place on March 17 from 10:15am-2pm. The parade is the second largest St. Patrick’s Day Parade in the country! The route goes through historic Savannah and boasts numerous acts from Irish Dancers to bands and music. If there is one thing to do in Savannah for St. Patrick’s Day, this is the event that shouldn’t be missed!
- St. Patrick’s Day River Street Celebration – Irish food and drink can be celebrated from March 17-19 from 10am-midnight at Rousakis Riverfront in Savannah. Live entertainment, activities and much more can be enjoyed! This makes a great post-parade activity!
- St. Baldrick’s Day – A wonderful fundraising event devoted to helping childhood cancer victims and survivors is the annual St. Baldrick’s Day event. Here participants shave their heads in honor of childhood cancer. The event takes place on March 20 from 12-4pm in City Market.
From all of us at the Teresa Cowart Team, enjoy your St. Patrick’s Day events and stay safe!
More Articles for Home Buyers
More Articles for Home Sellers
Thanks for reading my blog! It is my goal as your full service real estate Realtor specializing in the Richmond Hill, Savannah, Pooler, and Hinesville – Georgia areas, to provide you with exceptional service at all times. My promise to you is to openly and honestly answer all your questions, help you navigate through the process and to make myself available to you day and night. I work for you and you are my priority. My local expertise and extensive real estate training and experience will benefit you whether you are serious about buying or selling a home at this time, or are a returning client checking out the many homeowner resources I offer. I am a “real” person and my reputation depends on every client, every deal, every day. I LOVE my job and it shows! You can also connect with me on my Facebook Page and/or Google Plus for area info and events, things to do, real estate news, home ownership tips, tips for both buyers and sellers, and so much more! I’m also on Pinterest!